mandag 12. mai 2008

Atlantic II - Return to Norway
By Trond Hjertø

We are back on the Big Blue again!
After a couple of great weeks among the islands and reefs in the BVI (British Virgin Islands), it is good to know that my sealegs still are there as expected.
We wheighed anchor pretty precisely at 15.00 hours, and departed from the island of Anegada in the far north of the BVI, and headed N-NE as soon as we rounded the western end of the world's fourth largest Barrier Reef. There we  found an easterly breeze and about one meter high waves, something us guys onboard Vision calls a silky smooth start! 

We started to sail with two other Norwegian boats; SY Otium, Capt. Rolf AB Seaman Terje, and SY Mañana crewed by Harald and Hilde. To begin with, it looked promising, but ever so gradually we saw that Mañana struggled to keep up the two larger boats. Later in the evening, both Vision and Otium took reefs in the sails. But at night we saw that it did not do much, and that Manjaña with its 37 feet and only a small selftacking jib, by the morning had ended up 5-6 nm behind us. We gave our: fair winds, farewell and see you around. Three had become two, and reefs were removed. 

It's just a day after the start. The pace is now at about 5 knots, there is still a breeze and barely a meters wave height. We look forward to a quiet night. The first watch goes on at nightfall at 19.00 Hours. I go on at 04.00 for my meassured 3 hours. What, if anything, happens through the night and tomorrow you will find on this channel alone. 
So, stay tuned - good night! 

The night offered few surprises, and good is that! The wind rose a to fresh breece and wave height of about 3 meters. Still a nice start. Later in the day the humble writer saw his first flying fish for the voyage. At 11:11 precisely, it flew like a fat silverarrow out of a wave. It glided just over one hundred yards, layed over in a left turn and disappeared in the waves. 
We sailed north for a few days, but we have seen that an unfavorable wind direction has brought us more on the west side of the compass rose than we like. Our two captians has discussed the matter and found that the time has come for a change. The boatpair is now above 23 'N, and the coarse is set due east.

Raymond is sick, and can not do the job! 

He is gradually losing its grasp of the helm, only to deliver an error of little encouragement. The word "Drivestop" illuminates Raymond's display, telling us that the driveunit no longer works. 
Our heading is set due north towards Bermuda, in the hope of healing and salvation for our sick and very important friend. Two ships has become one, and the two men sailing one ship will meet only at change of watch, with one at the helm and one in the bunk. We expect to be there in about 4 days, then it's directly on to the operatingtable for Raymond. We cross our fingers and believe in quick clean bill of health for our steering friend! Now, however it is steering by hand 24 hours a day, until we have arrived at St.George's, Bermuda.

I wake up the smell and sound of bacon frying in a pan. Thomas has found a superb way to wake me up! I go on duty at 12:00 hours. It is blue ocean as far as the eye can reach, wave height of 1-2 meters of soft waves. It is just a soft, but not so good, moderate breeze. We motorsail north at about 5-6 knots, but it would be nice if "Brummle" could rest for a bit. 
Oh, it seems that we get some more wind, must go!

There wasn't much of a wind, we have a hazy bluewhite horizon of an almost cloudless sky. The sea forms a long and somewhat uneven horizon of 360' around and over a 180' over our handsome but vulnerable lady. 

I have a star to port, 
10-15` fore of the beam and about 30' above the horizon. Our position is: 
N 27`01.85`` by W 64`48.65``. My guiding star, becomes weaker as the night is lost, to an ever-growing morning. 
Soon the sun peeks over the horizon. It makes a grand entrance: I barely at first, can make it out in the distance, behind a veil of hazy clouds. 
Then. I see the top edge, glowing red, like a blacksmiths iron in the forge. The sun rising ever higher, the two small clouds in front, are like two slag fragments in stark gray contrasts to a glowing piece of metal. The red glow fades steadily, until a clear yellow sun stands high on a blue sky. It was a beautiful sight, that only I and some flying fish on an otherwise empty ocean was lucky enough to spectate!
It just had to be done. 

We sail along the edge of the Bermuda Triangle from south to north.Then it just feels right and necessary to take a bath. We have a breeze from the south, when we heave too. I jump in first, with a harness and about 20 meters of line, for safety's sake. The water is fine here, on the edge of this mythical ocean triangle. Water temperature is 24 degrees, there are over 3000 meters to the bottom. I see probably over 40 meters into the deep blue nothingness. I dive down a few meters, watching the waves from the underneath and golden collections of sargassotang, driven here by the waves and oceanic currents from the Sargasso Sea. I soap myself, jump back into the water again before I rinse off with some seawater. Then Thomas jump in, while I stand and sundries the last vestige of moisture from a body grown tan over timeThomas dive down and take some pictures with his underwater camera, before he finishes up his bath. We set the gennaker and continues towards Bermuda at 6-7 knots. 

"I thought it would be the arms that received the greatest stress from handsteering the boat", I said to Thomas, and complained a little about sore feet. I went on duty at 20.00 hours, and Thomas disappeared below deck after a few instructions. He said nothing about the great mass of clouds in the west, witch I saw just minutes after the watch change. He had probably not seen it, as it can be quite a task to wake me up when I'm soundly asleep. But I saw it, albeit a bit vague in the twilight.
We get a thunderstorm. 
I turn on the radar, and get a strong signal to the west. Just after I see the first flash of lightning, weak and deep inside the cloud. We had heard something that sounded like dump cannon fire, but as we wondered, we never thought of thunder. I joked about the mythical area we sail in. "You shall see that there is a ship from the 1700s with cannons ablaze, whishing to board us" I had said to Thomas.

Half an hour later, lightning is powerful and persistent out of NV to SSV, it increases in intensity as well as in scope. A little later we're in the middle of it, heavy lightning in 360' around us and sometimes a little too close to our exposed position. I think that our 20 meter high aluminium mast and stainless steel rigging may seem like an attractive object for a lightning bolt with sinister intent. I wake up Thomas when I see a huge cloud of 16x8 nm on the radar. "Go right through," mumured the captain with of a few and not very reassuring grunts. But it goes well and I feel the first raindrops in the minutes before watch change. 
At 24.00 hours the ships captain comes on duty. I now have painful arms as well as legs, and can not wait to get my rest for four hours. 
I find my bunk, and after sleeping meere minutes(!), I am at. 03.45, wakened for my watch by a dripping wet Captain Thomas.He can not wait to get off duty, and he dries off before going to find some warmth in the bunk. The time has passed 04.00 hours and the dark clouds are becoming smaller. It soon brightens, the wind turns to the north and I get a wonderful tack the rest of my watch. 

We get visitors! Just before dinner, a stormswallow comes rushing past on the starboard side, for the next moment to come by the port. After a moment of concidering he found out that the cockpit had to be a good place to stay. Both winch handles under the sprayhood were tried, with lots of tilting by the boats movement in the water. Then he tried the Thomas' jacket, before our intrepid friend turns to the companionway edge. When Thomas with dinner in hand, carefully poked his head out of the hatch, it looked at him a moment, and flew. We did not think we would see our new-found friend again, but shortly after it was on the side again. When Thomas goes down for more food, it comes back and sits on the edge of the companionway again. He have a look down, take a very quick reconnaissance round before he seems to think it safe to fly down and turns up on the top of the bookshelf. When I'm at the end of my watch and after dinner, I go to lay down. I find our friend warm and nestling among guestflags on top of the bookshelf. While I lie, not so warm the bench below. The next day, I have another watch done, I meet our friend in the lounge on the way out, it flies a couple of times around the boat as to say a thank you and goodbye. Our quiet and housebroken friend, had given us a new energy and made our last days of hand steering a breeze!

Atlanterhavet - Returen til Norge
Av Trond Hjertø 

Vi er på det store blå igjen!

Etter et par flotte uker blant øyene og revene i BVI (British Virgin Islands), er det godt å få kjenne at sjøbeina fremdeles virker som forventet.

Vi halte anker ganske nøyaktig kl 15:00. Vi dro fra øya Anegada lengst nord i BVI, og satte kursen n-nø så snart vi rundet den vestre enden på verdens fjerde største barriererev. Der fant vi en østlig bris og en bølgehøgde på knappe meteren, noe gutta på SY Vision kaller silkestart!
Vi startet å seile sammen med båtene SY Otium, kpt. Rolf og matr. Terje, og SY Manana med paret Harald og Hilde. Til å begynne med så det lovende ut, men vi så etter hvert at Manana ikke klarte å holde følge. Utpå kvelden tok både Vision og Otium rev i seila. Men ut på natta så vi at det ikke monnet mye. Manjana med sine 37 fot og kryssfokke, var innen morgenkvisten havnet 5-6 nm bak oss. Vi sa våre: lykke til, på gjensyn og farvel.

Tre var blitt to, og rev var blitt tatt ut! Det er vel et døgn etter start, farten ligger nå på ca 5 knop, det er fremdeles bris og en knapp meter bølgehøyde. Vi ser fram i mot en rolig natt. Første vakt går på ved mørkets frembrudd kl 19.00. Jeg går på kl 04.00 for mine utmålte 3 timer.
Det, om noe, som skjer gjennom natten og morgendagen får du vite på denne kanalen alene. So, stay tuned – good night!

Natta bød på få overraskelser, og godt er det! Vinden økte til frisk bris og bølgehøyde på drøye 3 meter. Fremdeles en fin start. Ut på dagen så den ydmyke skribent sin første flygefisk for denne turen. Kl 11:11 nøyaktig, føk den som en feit sølvpil utav en bølge. Den svevde drøye hundre meter, la seg i en sving til venstre og forsvant i en bølgetopp.
Vi har seilt nordover et par dager, men vi har sett at en ugunstig vindretning har ført oss mer på vestsida av kompassrosa enn vi liker.
Våre to vakthavende har drøftet saken og funnet at tiden er kommet for en kursendring. Vårt tospann er nå kommet over 23`N, og kursen er satt rett øst.

Raymond er syk,
og kan ikke gjøre jobben sin! Han mister gradvis taket på roret, for så å levere en lite oppmuntrende feilmelding. På Raymonds display lyser ordet  ”Drivestopp” i mot oss, noe som forteller oss at drivenheten ikke lenger fungerer.
 Kursen blir satt rett nord mot Bermuda, i håp om helbred og frelse der for vår viktige venn. To skuter var blitt en, og de to som seiler den ene skuta møtes kun ved vaktskiftet, det er en til rors og en i køya.
Vi regner med å vere framme om ca 4 døgn, da er det rett på benken for Raymond. Vi krysser fingrene og tror på hurtig friskmelding for vår styrende venn! Nå er det derimot håndstyring 24 timer i døgnet, til vi er framme i St.George`s, Bermuda.
Jeg våkner av lukta og lyden som stekt bacon lager i steikepanna. Thomas har funnet en suveren måte å vekke meg på!  
Jeg går på vakt kl 12. Det er blått hav så langt jeg ser, bølgehøyde på 1-2 meter, med myke dønninger. Det som er like mykt, om enn ikke så bra, er den labre brisen. Vi motorseiler nordover i en 5-6 knop, men det hadde vert fint om ”Brummle” kunne hvile litt. N
å ser det ut til at vi får vind, må gå!

Det ble ikke noe særlig til vind, det er en disig blåhvit horisont på en nesten skyfri himmel.
Havet danner en lang og litt ujevn horisont i 360` rundt vår staute, men sårbare dame. Jeg har en stjerne til babord 10-15` forennom tvers, og 30` over horisonten. Vår posisjon er: N 27`01.85`` og W 064`48.65``. Min ledestjerne blir svakere etterhvert som natten må gi tapt for en stadig gryende morgen. 
Snart kommer solen tittende over horisonten. 
Den gjør en flott entre: Til å begynne med bare aner jeg den i horisonten, bak et slør av disige skyer. Så ser jeg den øvre kanten, glødende rød, som en smeds emne i grua. Den stiger stadig høyere, og de to små skyene foran skiva, er som to slaggbiter i grå kontrast mot et glødende metallstykke. Den røde gløden visner stadig, til en klar gul sol står høyt på en blå himmel. Det var et vakkert skue som bare jeg og noen flygefisk på et ellers så tomt ocean fikk se!

Det måtte bare gjøres, vi seiler langs Bermudatriangelet fra sør til nord. Da føles det bare riktig og nødvendig med et bad. Vi har en bris fra sør, når vi legger bi. Jeg hopper i først, med sele og ca 20 meter line, for sikkerhets skyld.
Vannet er fint her, i kanten av det myteomspunnede havstykket. Vanntemperaturen er 24 grader, det er over 3000 meter til bunnen. Jeg ser sikkert over 40 meter ned i det dypblå intet. Jeg dykker ned noen meter, ser bølgene fra undersiden og gyldne ansamlinger av sargassotang, drevet hit av bølgene og havstømmene fra Sargassohavet. Jeg såper meg inn, hopper uti igjen før jeg skyller av meg litt sjøvann. Så hopper Thomas uti, mens jeg står og soltørker den siste rest av fuktighet fra en etter hvert solbrun kropp. Thomas dykker ned og tar noen bilder med undervannskameraet, før han gjør seg ferdig. Vi setter gennakeren og fortsetter mot Bermuda med 6-7 knop.

"Jeg hadde trodd at det ville være armene som fikk den største påkjenningen", sa jeg til Thomas og klagde litt over såre føtter.
Jeg gikk på vakt kl. 20.00 og Thomas forsvant under dekk etter noen få instrukser. Han  sa ingen ting om den store skymassen i vest, som jeg så noen minutter etter vaktbytte. Han hadde sikkert ikke sett den, da det kan være litt av en oppgave å få liv i meg når jeg sover tungt.
Men jeg så den, om enn litt diffust i skumringen.

Vi får tordenvær.
Jeg slår på radaren, og ser et kraftig signal i vest. Litt etter ser jeg det første lynglimtet, svakt og langt inne i skyen. Vi hadde tidligere hørt noe som lød som dumpe kanonskudd, men vi syntes ikke det hørtes ut som torden. ”Du skal se at det kommer ei skute fra 1700-tallet med dundrene kanoner og vil borde oss”, fleipet jeg med tanke på havstykket vi seiler i.
En halvtime senere lyner det kraftig og vedvarende i området fra nv til ssv, det øker i intensitet så vel som i omfang. Litt senere er vi midt inni, det lyner kraftig i 360` rundt oss og noen ganger litt for nærme vår utsatte posisjon. Jeg tenker på at vår 20 meter høye rigg og mast kan virke som et tiltrekkende objekt for et lyn med skumle hensikter. Jeg vekker Thomas når jeg ser en 16x8 nm. stor sky på radaren. ”Gå rett gjennom”, mumler kapteinen i form av noen få og lite betryggene grynt. Men det går bra og jeg kjenner de første regndråpene i minuttene før vaktskifte.
Kl. 24.00 går skutas kaptein på vakt. Og jeg kjenner det godt i både armer og bein nå, og gleder meg til å få hvile i mine fire tilmålte timer. Jeg finner køya, og etter å ha sovet et øyeblikk(!), blir jeg kl. 03.45, purret av en dyvåt  Thomas. Han kan ikke vente med å få frivakt, slik at han får tørke av seg å finne varmen i dyna. Klokka har passert fire og de mørke skyene blir stadig mindre. Det lysner snart, vinden dreier mot nord og jeg får en lekker krysslegg resten av vakta.

Vi får besøk!
Like før middag kom en stormsvale susende forbi på styrbord side, og like etterpå på babord. Etter et øyeblikks overveing fant den ut at cockpiten måtte være et bra sted å oppholde seg. Begge vinsjehåndtaka under sprayhooden ble prøvd, med mye vipping fra båtens bevegelse gjennom sjøen. Deretter prøves jakka til Thomas, før vår uredde venn slår seg til på lukekarmen.
Da Thomas med middagen i hånd stikker hodet opp av luka, tittet den på han et øyeblikk, og fløy. Vi trodde ikke vi ville få se vår nyfunne venn igjen, men etter kort tid var den på siden igjen. Når Thomas går ned etter mer mat, kommer den igjen og setter seg på lukekarmen. Den titter ned, tar en svært kjapp rekognoseringsrunde før den før den selvsikkert flyr ned og slår seg til på toppen bokhylla. Når jeg etter endt vakt og og middag, går ned for å legge meg, ligger vår venn lunt blant gjesteflagga på bokhylla. Mens jeg ligger, ikke like lunt på benken under. Dagen  etter og nok en vakt unnagjordt, møter jeg vår venn i salongen på vei ut, den flyr et par ganger rundt båten som et takk og farvel.
Vår stillferdige og husrene venn, hadde gitt oss nytt mot og gjorde vårt siste døgn med håndstyring til en lek!

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar

Hei, om du gir meg en kommentar eller en hilsen blir jeg glad.
Hi, if you give me a comment or just a greeting I would be happy.